Saturday 27 July 2013

Day Six

It’s Saturday and I’m so happy because we don’t have to get up super early to meet the demands of our intense itinerary. Yay!

After a leisurely start and campfire breakfast (with an actual billie can) we head up to Laura, making a few stops to spot crocodiles and swim (at different places!) along the way.









We then travel on to see the Aboriginal rock art at Split Rock. In primary school, we learnt about rock paintings and it seemed like a cool thing because it was so old, but it’s not something that I probably ever thought about in great detail and appreciated enough.

Seeing a little dusty red hand right in front of you, on a huge wave-like rock with animals and spirits and other paintings, you can almost imagine the owner of that hand and start thinking about what their life was like. If you haven’t seen Aboriginal rock art before – do it!






Heading back to Normanby Station, Ronnie takes us to one of his ancestor’s cultural places. Like the smoking ceremony two days earlier, this will be one of those memories I treasure forever. I don’t want to go on about it because I can’t explain how special it was, just know that is was very cool ok?! 




Ronnie has a reputation of being a legend stockman and shares this knowledge with his sons. While I can’t vouch for their stockman skills, I can for their music – check out their band Black Image and be as impressed as we were!


   




On Day One, we had appointed four secondees to be Masterchefs who would cook on Saturday night. They had prepared, shopped and now cooked up a storm on the ol’ campfire. I can’t even make paella in my kitchen at home, let alone in the bush, but somehow they managed. Amazing!











No comments:

Post a Comment