Tuesday 20 August 2013

Week 4.5

I know I promised to blog weekly now but have just returned from a whirlwind trip across the Cape so thought I'd break my own rule :-)

For the project I'm working on with the Cape York Land Council (CYLC) I was keen to interview a traditional owner/elder so I could hear first-hand about why native title is so important to them.

Jim* and Kirsty** thought Rosie Upton from the Strathgordon Mob in Pormpuraaw would be perfect, so we decided to head to the west coast of Cape York.

We set-off about 7am on Sunday morning and after 2 x McCafe skinny lattes, 2 x hash browns, 1 x burger with the lot from Musgrave Roadhouse, 10,000 x packets of various Allen's lollies, 1 x bush meeting with a woman on a four-wheeler, we arrived in Pormpuraaw about 5pm.

Jim and Kirsty called into what seemed like every house in town to invite the mob for dinner and assemble directors for a PBC meeting. After a quick trip to watch the sunset on the beach with cheese and crackers (Kirsty thinks of everything!) we headed home to fire up the barbie.







There would have been nearly 30 of the mob around for dinner, and it was so great to watch the kids running around the table while the adults ate and yarned. Just like any dining room in Australia!

Afterwards, Jim and Kirsty ran the PBC meeting as they had a fair bit to discuss and agree on. While this was all going on, I sat out on the back step with old Granny Rosie and got schooled in everything from fishing to building a humpy for shelter. With these stories under my belt, I reckon I could win Survivor! Check out how cool she is:



The next day we had planned to get to Lockhart River with enough time for me to make my 6.30pm flight, but we had a few people to see in Pormpuraaw first. Turns out they weren't so concerned about my deadline (!!) and I never did make that flight... 

Jim and Kirsty are passionate about supporting traditional owners and giving them the tools to manage country. Because of this, they've developed really strong relationships within the community. They aren't the type to fly in, have a meeting and fly out. They take their time getting to know people and their families, listening to their stories, cooking a meal and even putting out crab pots. From the little I've seen of these remote communities, people who take the time to make relationships (like Vit) are the ones who are most respected and will be listened to when it comes to getting the work done.

We ended up making it to Lockhart River around 8pm. It was great to see Matt and Adam briefly, who are both still loving it. They're meeting Lauren and Michael this weekend to head to The Tip so I can't wait to see their photos when they're guest bloggers next week.

Before my flight left the next morning, I was fortunate enough to visit the Lockhart River Art Centre and was blown away by the artwork. On my previous trip, I'd fallen in love with three very expensive spears (!!) on display at the Iron Ranges Cabins so wanted to see what else the Lockhart River artists offered. I wasn't disappointed! It was a bit of a rush so I didn't buy anything, but I think I might have shopper's regret...sigh.

Unfortunately the office beckoned so the Lockhart River mascot waved me off:


* Jim heads up the PBC Unit with CYLC

** Kirsty is currently run off her feet unofficially doing two jobs as Cape York's Regional Director for Jawun and Deputy CEO for CYLC

No comments:

Post a Comment